Gos·pel noun \ˈgäs-pəl\ 1. Good news 2. the message concerning Christ, the kingdom of God, and salvation
Do you know for certain that you have eternal life and that you will go to heaven when you die?
God wants you to be sure. The Bible, says in 1 John 5:13, “These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.”
Another question to consider is:
Suppose you were standing before God right now and He asked you, “Why should I let you into MY heaven?” What do you think you would say?
You may not know what you would say, but you can know because God loves you and has a purpose for your life. The Bible states it this way, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16).
God’s purpose is that we have eternal life! Notice these three important facts about eternal life:
- We receive eternal life as a free gift. – “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” (Romans 6:23)
- We can live a full and meaningful life right now. – “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10)
- We will spend eternity with Jesus in heaven. – “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.” (John 14:3)
Eternal life gives meaning to life. BUT, our sinful nature keeps us from fulfilling God’s purpose for our lives.
Before we can realize God’s purpose, we must first understand our problem.
- We are all sinners by nature and by choice. – “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
- We cannot save ourselves. – “Not of works, lest anyone should boast.” (Ephesians 2:9)
- We deserve death and hell. – “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
It is true that God is a loving God, but He is also holy and just and must punish sin. Yet, because He loves us He has provided forgiveness for our sin. He has given us a provision, His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:6) The good news is that God has provided for the forgiveness of our sins.
Jesus Christ is all that we need to provide us with an eternal heavenly membership. Accepting God’s provision, Jesus Christ, is the only way we can have eternal life. Nothing more, nothing less.
Notice what God’s Word states about our provision, Jesus Christ:
- Jesus is God and became man. – “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God . . . . And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:1, 14)
- Jesus died for us on the cross. – “For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,” (1 Peter 3:18)
- Jesus was resurrected from the dead. – “(Jesus) who was delivered up because of our offenses, and was raised because of our justification..” (Romans 4:25)
That is good news, but the only way Jesus can affect our lives is for us to receive Him. The Bible Says, “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” (John 1 : 12) The choice is ours.
To accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, you must…….
#1 – REPENT
You must repent of your sin. –
“Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19)
Repentance is not just feeling sorry for our sin. –
“Repent, turn to God, and do works befitting repentance.” (Acts 26:20)
Repentance is turning to God through Jesus and away from our sin. It’s like making a U-turn.
#2 – FAITH IN JESUS
You must place your faith in Jesus.
“For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God.” (Ephesians 2:8)
Faith is not just believing facts about Jesus. –
“You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe–and tremble!” (James 2:19)
Faith is trusting in Jesus. It’s like taking a trip on an airplane. You will never make the trip until you trust the plane enough to board it.
#3 – SURRENDER
You must surrender you life to Jesus as Lord.
“If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For . . . with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.” (Romans 10:9-10)
Surrendering to Jesus as Lord is not just saying we give our lives to Jesus.
“”Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.” (Matthew 7 : 21)
Surrendering to Jesus as Lord means giving Jesus control of your life. That is, you must give all that you know of yourself to all that you know of God.
To give Jesus control of your life is like driving down the highway with another person. As long as you are driving, you are in control. If you realize you don’t know the way, but the other person does, you might say. “You take the wheel and drive.” Then the other person is in control and the two of you take the route he chooses.
THREE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS
- Does what you have been reading make sense?
- Is there any reason you would not be willing to receive God’s gift of eternal life?
- Are you willing to turn from your sin and place your faith in Jesus right now?
If you’ve answered yes to these questions listen to what the Bible says,
For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.” (Romans 10:13)
All you have to do is ask Jesus to forgive you of your sins, place your faith in Him and surrender to Him as Lord of your life. If you would like to do this, read this prayer and see if it says what you want to say to God.
“Dear God, I know that you love me. I know that you sent Jesus to die on the cross and to rise from the dead for my sins. God I acknowledge that I’m a sinner. I realize that I’ve done things that Jesus wouldn’t do. I repent of my sin. I turn from my sin and I turn to Jesus. Jesus, please come into my heart, forgive me of my sin and save me. I accept you as Lord of my life. Thank you Jesus for saving me. Amen.”
If this is what you want to say to God, then call on the Lord in repentance, faith, and surrender by praying these words or similar words of you own; and Jesus will become your Savior and Lord.
If you’ve prayed this prayer or one similar, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OF GOD. If you sincerely prayed this prayer, you have just made the most important decision of your life. You can be sure you are saved and have eternal life.
As evidence of giving Jesus control, you will want to identify with Him. The New Testament way of identification is to confess Jesus publicly (Matthew 10:32-33) and to follow Him in Baptism and church membership (Acts 2:38).
If you have accepted Jesus Christ, please contact me so that I may share in your joy. If you have more questions concerning your salvation or would like assistance in finding a Southern Baptist Church in your area, or contact us here at Abilene. We’d love the opportunity to help you in your new walk with Christ.